Advantages of Enrollment in Medicare Part B
If you are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, and Non-Medicare plan:
- Suppose you have Part B and are enrolled in Anthem Blue Cross Prudent Buyer or Anthem Blue Cross I, II Plan; Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross will coordinate coverage for services. That means when you visit your doctor, once you’ve met your deductible, Medicare Part B will pay 80 percent of eligible services and Anthem Blue Cross will pay a portion of the remaining balance of eligible services, according to each plan design. That leaves you with a small out-of-pocket expense. Over time, Medicare Part B may help reduce your overall health care spending depending how often you use the covered services.
- You are subject to the Lifetime Benefit Maximum of one (1) million dollars coverage for Anthem Blue Cross Plans I, II, and Prudent Buyer Plan, alone or combined. “Combined” means any benefits paid under a prior Anthem Blue Cross plan will reduce any maximum amounts eligible for the current Anthem Blue Cross plan. With Part B coverage paying most of your eligible medical services, it will help you reach your Maximum Lifetime Benefit at a slower pace.
- If you have a Non-Medicare HMO plan, you agree to receive covered services from the plan; and in most situations there is no coordination of coverage between your Medicare and the HMO plan
If you are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, and a LACERA-administered Medicare plan:
- Suppose you have both Medicare Part B and Anthem Blue Cross III Plan; Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross will coordinate coverage for services. That means when you visit your doctor, Medicare Part B will pay 80 percent of eligible services and the Anthem Blue Cross III Plan will pick up the remaining 20 percent of eligible services. That leaves little or nothing for you to pay out-of-pocket. Over time, Medicare Part B may help reduce your overall health care spending. In addition, you are not subject to the Lifetime Benefit Maximum of one (1) million dollars that applies to the other Anthem Blue Cross plans.
- If you have a LACERA-administered Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan (MA-PD) such as Kaiser Senior Advantage, you assign Medicare Parts A, B, and D to your medical plan, and must receive all covered services directly from the plan.
- Currently, the County reimburses the 2008 Medicare Part B standard rate of $96.40 for all Medicare Plan enrollees, subject to annual review and approval by the Board of Supervisors.