Deactivation of Enrollment
If you go 12 months without submitting any claims to Medicare, your enrollment may be deactivated and you will have to contact your Medicare carrier or Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) and recertify that the information they have on file for you is still correct. If there are any new requirements that were put in place since your original enrollment, you will have to meet them. For instance, you will have to sign up to have your Medicare claims paid by electronic funds transfers (EFTs), just as you would have to do if you changed any information on your enrollment application (see below). You will also have to submit a valid Medicare claim, which shouldn’t be a problem since you probably wouldn’t be worried about reactivating your enrollment unless you wanted to submit a claim.
Electronic Funds Transfers
Medicare is trying to convert all its provider payments to electronic funds
transfers (EFTs) directly into your bank account. If you are currently receiving
checks from your Medicare carrier, you will be able to continue getting checks as long as nothing changes. However, should you need to submit any changes to your Medicare enrollment (see below for more about reporting changes), you will be required to fill out a CMS-588 form authorizing payment through EFTs.