Medicare premiums and coinsurance rates for 2010
The following is a listing of the Medicare premium, deductible, and coinsurance rates that will be in effect in 2010:
Medicare Premiums for 2010:
Part A: (Hospital Insurance) Premium
* Most people do not pay a monthly Part A premium because they or a spouse has 40 or more quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
* The Part A premium is $254.00 per month for people having 30-39 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
* The Part A premium is $461.00 per month for people who are not otherwise eligible for premium-free hospital insurance and have less than 30 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.
Part B: (Medical Insurance) Premium
Most beneficiaries will continue to pay the same $96.40 premium amount in 2010. Beneficiaries who currently have the Social Security Administration (SSA) withhold their Part B premium and have incomes of $85,000 or less (or $170,000 or less for joint filers) will not have an increase in their Part B premium in 2010. For additional details, see our FAQ titled: “Will my Medicare Part B premium increase in 2010?”
For all others, the standard Medicare Part B monthly premium will be $110.50 in 2010, which is a 15% increase over the 2009 premium. The Medicare Part B premium is increasing in 2010 due to possible increases in Part B costs. If your income is above $85,000 (single) or $170,000 (married couple), then your Medicare Part B premium may be higher than $110.50 per month. For additional details, see our FAQ titled: “2010 Part B Premium Amounts for Persons with Higher Income Levels”.
Medicare Deductible and Coinsurance Amounts for 2010:
Part A: (pays for inpatient hospital, skilled nursing facility, and some home health care) For each benefit period Medicare pays all covered costs except the Medicare Part A deductible (2010 = $1,100) during the first 60 days and coinsurance amounts for hospital stays that last beyond 60 days and no more than 150 days.
For each benefit period you pay:
* A total of $1,100 for a hospital stay of 1-60 days.
* $275 per day for days 61-90 of a hospital stay.
* $550 per day for days 91-150 of a hospital stay (Lifetime Reserve Days).
* All costs for each day beyond 150 days
Skilled Nursing Facility Coinsurance
* $137.50 per day for days 21 through 100 each benefit period.
Part B: (covers Medicare eligible physician services, outpatient hospital services, certain home health services, durable medical equipment)
* $155.00 per year. (Note: You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for services after you meet the $155.00 deductible.)
Related Links :